Skip to content

D. All of the Above

September 1, 2009

Yeah, I kind of made a bright blue mess.

Let me back up. Last month after the garage sale, JD and I drove back a bunch of furniture from my parents and grandma. None of it really fit together. There were neat antique typewriters, my old nightstand, tons of old frames, and random linens. Everything screamed: project!

Then, former housemate Claire gave us a queen-sized mattress and headboard, and we were thrilled to furnish the guest bedroom rather than throw in air mattresses when guests arrived. I now have a nightstand and bed…. except they didn’t match.

Also, last week, I found this cool post from Design*Sponge about a blogger who transformed a boring credenza into a brightly colored piece, and it looked great! I commented on Design*Sponge that I loved the color and could the blogger tell us what color she used? She never responded, but I sure liked her “zing” and decided that I wasn’t going to tarry any longer. I wanted to do something wild and bright to the nightstand and headboard and officially transform our guest bedroom.

Long story short: three trips to Lowe’s, a primer and two coats of paint later, I have definitely “brightened up” the furniture. What do you think?

BEFORE

before: nightstand

before: frame

Before: Headboard

AFTER (click for the JUMP to see the AFTER)

After: headboard

AFTER: Headboard Blue Burst

AFTER: nightstand

AFTER: only nightstand

After: FRAME

Give me a few weeks… I need a metal bedframe and a week or so to put the look together, but your thoughts? Fun? Bright and beautiful? Or are you a bit nauseous?

Advertisements
10 Comments leave one →
  1. Katie Falls permalink
    September 1, 2009 10:36 am

I really do like the blue and think that once you pair the blue pieces with some more toned-down accessories, it will look quite nice!

2. Stu permalink
    September 1, 2009 11:29 am

The walls in that room are a light yellow, but the camera flash makes them look shockingly orange. So, this doesn’t really give anybody a good idea of what the room looks like, Smurfette.

3. jauberry permalink
    September 1, 2009 1:01 pm

Do you know what color the wall is, Kate?

4. September 1, 2009 1:37 pm

Jessica, I don’t really know the specific wall color off the top of my head, but it’s a flat, light yellow, practically off-white/eggshell, but yellow. It’s throughout the house… you can see it better in the first pic in this post: https://kateschmate.com/2009/03/05/recap-on-the-big-weekend/

I’m guessing you really want to know, rather than posing a rhetorical question. :)

5. MamaStu permalink
    September 1, 2009 6:41 pm

I love it! I would have never had the courage to do that, but wow, it looks great and especially with the pale yellow walls. I’m impressed!

6. rachel permalink
    September 1, 2009 11:59 pm

the blue looks awesome – i especially love the headboard. way to go!!!

7. Jan permalink
    September 2, 2009 11:36 am

omg…I mean…omg I’m trying to think of a different color… suddenly, I just found everything blue in Lauren’s playroom… same hue! 2 blue elephants, 1 music table, 1 pyramid game, 2 tucans, 3 blocks, 1 puppy. Conclusion: great furniture color with kid’s themed room!!!

8. September 3, 2009 2:47 pm

Love it. Before and Afters are my favorite. I should have put that on my list.

9. September 11, 2009 4:14 pm

Do you know what color the wall is, Kate?…

Trackbacks