Friday Feast: Sausage Balls
Well, it’s a holiday weekend, and the whole week preceeding this weekend was not filled with cooking as I had hoped. So, this Friday Feast is a good one… without pictures.
The recipe is great (again, another one from Paula Deen), and I have found that sausage balls are perfect for any occasion… holidays, parties, game nights, sports viewing parties, birthdays, etc. For JD’s 25th birthday, I made a huge batch of them, and I had a happy hubby.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Cleanup time: 5 minutes
1 (1-pound) package ground sausage (I typically use Publix brand or Jimmy Dean hot sausage.)
3 cups baking mix (I definitely recommend Bisquick.)
4 cups grated sharp Cheddar
1/8 tablespoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix well with fingers. (Take off your wedding ring first!) The mix will be crumbly.
- Form 1-inch balls, squeezing the mixture so it holds together. (Oh my goodness, this is where it takes time. So much time. And, don’t get lazy as I have been prone to do… seriously, 1-inch balls. Also, to be more efficient, I have rolled the mixture into balls the night before I wanted to cook them.)
- Place on baking sheet and bake 18-20 minutes.
- *Very important* Move the balls around with a spatula halfway through the cook time to prevent sticking.
This is truly a great little recipe that you can make any time of year!