Guest Friday Feast: Salmon Tacos
As promised, here is the amazing (amazing!) salmon tacos JD made recently. He knows that I want to increase my fish intake, rather than always eating red meat, so he accommodated with this delicious taco recipe.
JD and I both love Bobby Flay, and B-Flay’s big emphasis is on “sweet with the heat.” This taco recipe is a B-Flay creation, and JD did an amazing job of nailing the zesty spice with a sweet orange-habanero hot sauce.
Salmon Tacos with Orange-Habanero Hot Sauce by Bobby Flay
3 cold-smoked salmon fillets, 8 ounces each
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 head green cabbage, finely shredded
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup best-quality mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chipotle pepper puree
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
12 fried blue corn taco shells (JD used whole wheat tortillas)
Orange-Habanero Sauce, recipe follows
- Preheat grill or grill pan over high heat.
- Brush salmon with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill on each side for 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool slightly and shred the meat with a fork. Place in a bowl with the cabbage and green onions.
- Combine the mayonnaise, chipotle and lime juice in a small bowl and season with salt. Add the mayonnaise and the cilantro to the salmon mixture and gently fold to combine. Season with salt to taste, if needed. Divide the salmon mixture among the taco shells and drizzle each with the Orange-Habanero Sauce.
6 cups fresh orange juice
1 habanero chile
1 tablespoon honey
- Place juice and habanero in a medium nonreactive saucepan and cook over high heat until reduced to 1 cup, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the habanero, whisk in the honey and season with salt.
- Let cool to room temperature before serving.
So yummy! I hope you don’t judge this dish because of the awful photography… I was way too hasty with the pictures because I wanted to dive right in!
The best part of these tacos was the crunch of the fresh veggies. The flavor combination was just wonderful. I highly recommend.