Guest Friday Feast: Flattened Chicken from Daddy
The last thing I’ve wanted to do after our New Year’s gift is cook. Thankfully, my mom had sent me an awesome recipe my dad whipped up pre-Thanksgiving. He’s a whiz on the grill, but you can also follow this recipe using your trusty oven on a higher setting.
Chicken a la Daddy
3.5-4 pound chicken
extra virgin olive oil
- Cut chicken in half through the backbone, lay it flat and flip it over.
- Cut out the breast bone and the cartilage.
- Cut slits in the side of the breast and put the ends of the drumsticks into the skin to make it look like a square chicken slab.
- Coat the chicken with EVOO (the more the better), and layer chicken with minced garlic, coarsely chopped rosemary, ground pepper, lemon wedges and cherry tomatoes halved.
- Grill (or roast in the oven) for 45 minutes checking periodically for doneness.
Mom and Dad served the chicken with almond and sautéed green beans as well as Cabernet Sauvignon. Makes me wonder if they actually like being empty-nesters….